Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Storm in a Pooper-Scooper




I had hoped to avoid ever writing about dog poo as I'd prefer not to think about it, let alone encourage others to, but as Carrie suggests it's an English obsession so perhaps there's a certain national inevitability about it. There certainly appears to be more in letter's pages of some (e.g. local) newspapers about canine crap than say (off the top of my head)....the economic exploitation of the third world (sorry I think "LEDC's" is the PC term now) by the West or the mass imprisonment of people with learning difficulties in the UK.
Anyroadup Carrie was right in predicting that in writing about it she "...would bring the deepest British revulsion bubbling to the surface". I do agree with Bones and Maffi that treading in the stuff is disgusting and extremely annoying, as is seeing trees festooned with plastic bags full of the stuff which seems to be a common sight now (in a sort of alternative-universe anti-Christmas tree effect).
Other things in life annoy me like people in shops who give you your coinage-change wrapped in a note so that you have to put your wallet between your teeth and grip your shopping bag between your knees while you sort it out, or people who walk three abreast very slowly so that you have to walk in the road or people who never use their indicators so you wait like a gormless prick by the side of the road when they weren't coming past anyway or people who say "so therefore" or "PIN number" or "when you get to my age you'll realise I'm right" or listening to people who take great delight in "getting even" on call-centre workers because their little life has been disrupted by some poor fucker on the minimum wage who has had the misfortune to find themselves in a job where they have no choice but to ring them up or people who routinely boat past you at full tilt knocking everything off your shelves and then complain about "bloody hire-boaters" or people who wrap up in thousands of pounds worth of equipment to do a 5 mile "ramble" or people who tell you "I couldn't possibly live on less than.. (insert obscene amount of money) a year" or people who................well I think you get the idea by now.
However overall I'd have to side more with Carrie's comments as compared with GLOBAL HUMAN AND ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE these things somehow pale into insignificance!
There - sorry folks - had to get that off my chest.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As somebody who existed on minimum wage until being made redundant i can heartily agree with you on that last one.but i do also agree with you and carrie in that are many minor irritations that we could all mention but that, few give the same amount of venom to weighter topics.treading in dog muck is unfortunate, starving to death due to the effects of global warming is disastrous.

4:42 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jaytee I agree there are many more important things than stepping in doggie doo, but right now with 7piles within 6 feet of my exit and a poo bin not 8 feet away I think I have a right to complain. I cannot stop Global Warming I cannot feed the world, but I do not want this 'pollution' in my boat.

5:22 pm  
Blogger JT said...

I do understand and as a fellow boater it is something that regularly pisses me off too - especially when you see someone outside blatantly allowing their pooch to poo right on the mooring ring you're tied up to. I'm just trying to support Carrie's general point that it's frustrating that overall relatively insignificant issues get undue attention. But I agree we all have every right to complain about these things. I don't expect issues surrounding arrogant dog-owners or global warming are likely to be changed much any time soon unfortunately.

12:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home