Monday, December 17, 2007

Why I'm a "Retired" Environmentalist...

I used to think that if only people knew about global warming, tropical deforestation and the resultant mass extinctions people would 'do the right thing' and stop fucking up the planet. In those days it was all about 'raising awareness'. Oh how naive I was...

Paul Kingsnorth writes...

"...it is impossible to stop climate change - not because the science says we can't or the technology is not available but simply because the political will - both from our 'leaders' and from us, as members of rich, contented nations - is simply not there. I've taken a bit of stick for this from environmentalists who want me to keep parroting the agreed green line on the climate ... - but everything I've seen since I first said it has only confirmed me in my view".

He explains why in his excellent blog here

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought much the same myself,until the water is lapping round there toes many people will do nothing,then panic. I still remain hopeful though.

3:17 pm  
Blogger JT said...

Hi Grey Wolf. That's partly why I think individual responsibility is an important part of the way forward. Just because 'the powers that be' don't do anything is not an excuse for us as individuals to bugger the biosphere....and I am also hopeful actually that there seem to be more & more people doing this and not just the comfortable middle-classes who can afford to buy themselves an expensive, trendy version of a superficially 'green' lifestyle.

1:04 am  
Blogger Llosgi said...

Fuck the politicians - they'll never do anything except ensure their own continued existence. Why people continue to take part in the farce of voting is beyond me! Bali talks! What bollocks! By relegating responsibilty to that lot, we support the status-quo and add to the problem. I stopped going on 'awareness-raising' 'A to B' marches some time ago. If someone's not aware of climate change by now, they've been living in a burrow and will be drowned. It's down to each of us - not to halt climate chaos, that's impossible now - but to limit it's impact. We have to completely change our greedy wasteful ways, take purposeful direct action against polluters and prepare ourselves for the changed world to come. Sounds depressing and extreme? Yep.

Oh by the way - happy Christmas Jaytee! x

12:58 am  
Blogger JT said...

Thanks Carrie. I needed that!

Fuck them indeed. I'm sure putting an "X" on a bit of paper now and again is about the least political thing I might do in an average year....and the more they are singing from the same, capitalist hymn sheets the more pointless it becomes.

Happy Christmas x

7:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home