Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Canal Folkies

I'm glad to report that many people living on the canal are a quirky and eccentric bunch(both very likable qualities in my book).

The other day my then next door neighbor Maurice invited me aboard his boat, told me a little bit about his life (very intriguing), his penchant for doing embroidery (especially heraldic) and restoring antiques. He also prefers candle-light to electric light like me. The centrepiece of his boat interior was a lovely ornate french stove reminiscent of Warrior's.

After a while he opened up what appeared to be a slim hinged table which turned out to be an organ built in the 1800s. He had bought it for just £25 and restored it beautifully (though not rubbed-out all it's lovely signs of age and history) and played me a sea shanty - honour indeed!...and highly appropriate in the stormy, rocky weather

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

hiya, It Lisa here from "the ice cream boat!". Just commented on our pic on your site!. We are real! The Ice Cream boat in the summer The Narrow Shop in the wnter!. Visit me sometime!. WE ARE REAL! lol. Nice site. Bye for now. Lisa

http://thenarrowshop.blogspot.com

6:10 am  
Blogger JT said...

Ahhh - I saw your website wiythout realising you were the same people as the Ice Cream shop!

"I scream you scream we all scream for ice cream"

...when it's hot anyway.

3:51 am  
Blogger Lisa said...

lol! scream but try to keep it down til about April!! lol Visit my blog any time! I will put you on the friends list if you like as a link. http://thenarrowshop.blogspot.com

1:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home