Thursday, January 04, 2007


Good places to see Kingfishers that I know about on "my stretch" of the canal network...

Scholar Green (especially around the leafy section near the stop lock and by the turning point a couple of miles further up opposite Ramsdell Hall). Also, when I have been to Nantwich before I had one sitting on the bow (before I could get a photo) and I am seeing them so regularly here lately that they could become boring (not really).

Recently between the juction at Wardle and the Venetian marina I counted five kingfishers, including two together (so they weren't all the same one if that's what you're thinking!). I always see far more in the winter I don't know if that's because the water is clearer for fishing when there are fewer boats moving or what?? They are not easy to photograph with my mobile phone/camera however so I have nicked this photo from http://www.wbct.org.uk/a-z_wildlife.htm from the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust, thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home