Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Something on the Roof.....?

I get used to the occasional crow or two padding around on the roof of Cosmos, especially when I'm moored near a monumental rookery as I am at the moment.

But the last couple of nights something more timid has been up there....I've listened hard in case it's been a local youngster up to no-particular-use but there's been no rocking motion or anything else too devious-sounding. The evening before last after work I heard an awful sound that can only be something being attacked and killed by something else from a wooded section opposite the boat. It didn't sound too duck-like to me so I think it may have been a pheasant (killed by a fox? mink?) of which there are many around here. Last night I also saw several pheasants on the towpath side of the waterway so I'm wondering if they feel safer on 'my' side - even on the boat roof.

S'pose I'll have to get up one night with a torch and have a look!

p.s. I was once sitting on the front deck and watched as a crow came down in front of me with a 'stolen' egg in it's beak, looked around to see if any other egg-eaters were watching and carefully bury it under some grass clippings.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home