Thursday, July 19, 2007

Has canal culture has turned me into a literary chav?

One of the nice things about boating on the canals is the camaraderie found towards other boaters. An example of this is the completely unofficial "book exchange" which appeared (I imagine spontaneously) at the BW services at Red Bull.

Recently when I was there I looked through the usual array of thrillers and romantic Mills & Boon fodder which (along with so called "chick-lit") I have always snobbishly assumed to be, well frankly crap.

Well I've never read a thriller before but I was attracted to it by the Name - "Mark Billingham". I am familiar with the author from his stand-up comedy so I thought "a good comedian has written a crime thriller - why not give it a try?". It was in no way breaking new ground, staying very much within the sort of formula familiar on some T.V. dramas. But it was very cleverly written and absolutely gripping and, er...thrilling.

A bit like listening to a really good blues band. You've heard it all before but it doesn't stop it being excellent.

The author writes about the similarities and differences between crime writing and stand-up on his website here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi JT, assume this means you're back online somewhere or have sorted the phone? The boat community seems a really decent one, as I've heard of others also swapping trades to help out with mechanical and electrical issues in return for a meal or a bit of painting. Great way of life, but maybe not so much fun in the constant rain. Congrats on the 1000 hits btw. Are you across to Nantwich (Acton) for the Acoustic Festival? Jules (Crewe blog).

1:12 am  
Blogger JT said...

Hi Jules, I'm online at work at the moment. My phone isn't sorted really as I have little time outside work for another week or so (may get a new one on Saturday).

I don't mind rain all that much... it's nice to watch it falling on the water. Having said that I want some SUN for some time off in August. I'm working with Italian and Spanish students at the moment and they're hating it even more than us Brits!

I'm not ruling out the acoustic fest if there are still tickets.

5:20 am  
Blogger JT said...

By the way see mortimerbones.blogspot.com
for a boater who really loves the rain!

5:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home