Thursday, May 10, 2007

Tunnel Visions.

I thought I'd avoid the usual shot you see in the boat mags of the Harecastle tunnel. Instead, here's a view from the top of the 'old' tunnel entrance, now obviously blocked off (unless you're a fish). The canal then heads off to the mid-right hand side of the photo and into the 'new'(er) tunnel entrance.

Never been through it yet but told it's wet, horrible and scary...Oh and Stoke is at the other end (sorry) so no point in going unless it's part of a longer cruise. On top of all that it's said to be haunted by "The Kisdgrove boggart"! Read a close encounter here. From what I remember of the story, in the times of cargo-carrying days a woman was given a lift through the tunnel by two bargemen, where she was decapitated.
I know some locals who say you can hear the boggart wailing some nights "...or it might be dogs".

One of Britain's most notorious killers 'The Black Panther' also commited his most heinous crime in the nearby park.

The vibes are great apart from that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger S said...

I loved Harecastle, much more magical than Standedge, it was one of the highlights of last summer's trip.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/553749571GzwjPN?start=108
(photos)

7:06 am  
Blogger JT said...

I hope I've not been too offensive with this post, especially as I have some good friends in Kidsgrove - just having fun!

It's actually a real ambition to go through there sometime but I'll probably wait until I'm on a longer cruise. I know Stoke on Trent quite well and the canal is lovely through Hanley park (I doubt it's a safe place to moor at night though) and a few miles later it becomes almost surreal in a sort of haunted, post-industrial, empty sort of way. Nice around Barlaston and Stone though (especially The Star Inn).

I haven't 'done' a tunnel yet (shame on me) and don't feel I can call myself a 'real boater' until I have! My fear isn't helped by knowing a certain boat painter and real character who has lived and worked on boats since he was 14 who doesn't like going through this tunnel at all. Maybe a pint in the Bluebell first will help...

2:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home