Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Who Would've Thought...Crewe & Nantwich are the centre of the Universe



I work in Crewe for 10 months of the year and sometimes moor in Nantwich (for as long as 6 months at times on "winter moorings") and for reasons you are probably aware the place has suddenly become the centre of the Universe.


It's quite a funny constituency in the sense that the two towns, Crewe and Nantwich are worlds (and just 4 miles) apart, Crewe seeming very run down, poor and with many social problems that go with poverty. When I lived in Crewe I had plenty of things stolen, other things vandalised and my garden shed burned to the ground. I was also beaten up a few times. The West End of the town has apparently got the highest under-age pregnancy rates in the whole of Europe. However at least it's alive and has a thriving music scene for instance (largely next to the lap-dancing emporium) and I've had many a good night out there (that's in Crewe generally by the way, before you jump to conclusions!) when I've felt brave enough.


Nantwich on the other hand is a wealthy, Immaculate old town with a rural feel of full of wealthy, immaculate old people with a rural feel and shops most of which I can't even afford to look through the window of, selling Agas and Champaign. On the other hand Nantwich has a frenzied night life attracting thousands of glamourpusses from all corners of Cheshire. Anyway the Tories are going hell for leather wherever you look.
If you're interested The Crewe Blog keeps a close eye on local events.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home